Saturday 18 January 2020

Notes on books I have not reviewed.


Notes on the reviews and readings.  Updated: January 2020.

I have started and discarded three reviews recently, and I wanted to record my reasons, rather than any one thing that I had given up reviewing the books that I read.

October 2019
I am a great Wilbur Smith fan, enjoying the Courtney family as it spans several years and generations. However, in ‘The King of Kings’, I was a little lost as to who the of the book referred to, as there are three plots/tales in the story, which are all closely and cleverly woven together. The King of Kings title becomes evident just over halfway through the book and I felt had nothing to do with the storyline of the Courtney family. As Wilbur Smith brings together the three plots the story is a little disjointed, but the tale rather than jump back in time keeps the reader informed of the action surrounding the three lead characters quite well. Be prepared for a long haul, its 435 pages of small print in the paperback edition.

September 2019
I had a full plan and notes for Tombland by C.J. Sansom but I realised that just as the book was drawn out, over 800 pages, my review was also drawn out as the story labours on minor parts of historical points. I gave up history as a subject as soon as I could, not enjoying the subject teacher’s approach, but I find a love of history through historical novels. However, with Tombland placed in the period just after Henry VIII death there are a lot of troubled times to tell, but in doing so the author – for me – drags it out and it would have been better to tell the account in two or even perhaps three books.

June 2019
I loved reading Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. It was published in 1990, but I became aware of it on Amazon Prime as a TV programme. I rushed out and bought the book and could not put it down and as I returned to watch the episodes and enjoyed the portrayal of the characters. It was I book I wanted to review, but the social media soon took up their own review slating the content and religious aspects of the book, although it had been published almost twenty years previously. I think it was misunderstood. If you are a fan of Terry Pratchett, (who is recorded as the lead writer), then you will understand how unusual and entertaining his ‘Disc World’ novels are. You either love them or hate them!


No comments:

Post a Comment